A continuing education unit (CEU) consists of ten (10) contact hours
1.0 CEU = 10 contact hours
The Certificate Maintenance Program accepts continuing education units approved by the following organizations to satisfy the 2.0 CEU (20 hours) requirement:
- ACCME (Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education) Category 1
- AMA (American Medical Association) PRA Category 1
- AAFP (American Academy of Family Physicians)
- AANP (American Academy of Nurse Practitioners)
- NPWH (National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health)
- ACPE (Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education)
To update your CEU information, please login to the portal by clicking here.
Additionally, each of the following nine alternatives may be used once per certification cycle in lieu of a portion of the CEUs required to satisfy the CEU component of the Certificate Maintenance Program.
1. Graduate Level Coursework: completion directly relevant to clinical midwifery practice will be approved for 10 contact hours or 1.0 CEU. A transcript is required for documentation.
2. DNP and PhD Level Coursework in Health Related Field: will be approved for either “Option 1” or “Option 2” (The dates for either option must have been achieved during the current CMP cycle year):
- Option 1: Partial program transcript may be used for 1.0 CEU (10 Contact Hours) for a degree in progress.
- Option 2: If Option 1 has not been utilized during a previous or current cycle, a transcript or degree showing completion of the Graduate or PhD program may be used for 2.0 CEUs (20 Contact Hours).
3. Formal presentation on a topic that has CEU approval from one of the above approved providers will be approved for double the number of contact hours/CEUs that are awarded to participants. A copy of the program brochure is required for documentation. A presentation at a meeting without CEUs from the approved providers will not be accepted.
4. Publication in a peer referred journal as a primary author on a midwifery related topic will be approved in lieu of 10 contact hours, or 1.0 ACNM CEU. A photocopy or PDF document of the published article is required for documentation.
5. Primary author of a chapter in a peer reviewed textbook relevant to midwifery and women's health, may receive recognition in lieu of ten contact hours, or 1.0 ACNM CEU. A photocopy of the published chapter from the textbook is required for documentation.
6. Peer reviewer of an article for a referred journal or textbook chapter relevant to midwifery and women's health, will be approved for 1.5 contact hours or .15 ACNM CEU. A letter or certificate from the journal is required for documentation. Up to 1.0 ACNM CEU or 10 hours may accrue for this alternative.
7. Serving as a Peer Reviewer in an ACNM affiliate will receive recognition in lieu of 10 contact hours, or 1.0 ACNM CEU. A letter from the affiliate chair describing the peer review process is required for documentation.
8. Direct clinical supervision as a preceptor to a nurse-midwifery/midwifery student from an ACME accredited program, will be approved for up to 10 contact hours or 1.0 ACNM CEU for 90 hours or more spent precepting. A letter from the faculty coordinator is required for documentation.
9. Participation in an ACNM or AMCB committee that advances midwifery practice will qualify an individual for up to 10 hours or 1.0 CEUs. A letter of verification from the committee chair with dates of service and hours of participation is required. The number of qualifying hours will be at the discretion of the committee chair.
**Please note: We do NOT accept American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) CEUs unless it is for a clearly identified advanced nursing practice conference (e.g. NPACE conferences).
If an individual would like to receive credit for any other continuing education activity before they have attended, then it the responsibility of the individual to apply directly to the ACNM Continuing Education Committee, click here, for pre-approval of the desired activity.
It is highly recommended that midwives encourage sponsors of continuing education activities appropriate to midwives to apply to the ACNM for ACNM CEUs prior to offering the continuing education.
When you participate in continuing education and you have a choice between ACCME credits and nursing credits, choose ACCME.
Not sure how to add your continuing education on AMCBs Web Portal? Open the PDF document below to learn how to add your continuing education online:
If you have any questions, please visit our FAQs or contact:
Certificate Maintenance Program Coordinator
Phone: 410-694-9424 or 866-366-9632, ext. 7021
Certificate Maintenance Program Coordinator
Phone: 410-694-9424 or 866-366-9632, ext. 7015