Continuing Education Policy
The Certificate Maintenance Program accepts continuing education units approved by the following organizations to satisfy the 20 contact hours requirement:
- ACCME (Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education) Category 1
- AMA (American Medical Association) PRA Category 1
- AAFP (American Academy of Family Physicians)
- AANP (American Academy of Nurse Practitioners)
- NPWH (National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health)
- ACPE (Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education)
To update your continuing education information, please login to the portal by clicking here.
Additionally, each of the following nine alternatives may be used once per certification cycle in lieu of a portion of the contact hours required to satisfy the continuing education component of the Certificate Maintenance Program.
1. Graduate Level Coursework: completion directly relevant to clinical midwifery practice will be approved for 10 contact hours. A transcript is required for documentation.
2. DNP and PhD Level Coursework in Health Related Field: will be approved for either “Option 1” or “Option 2” (The dates for either option must have been achieved during the current CMP cycle year):
- Option 1: Partial program transcript may be used for 10 contact hours for a degree in progress.
- Option 2: If Option 1 has not been utilized during a previous or current cycle, a transcript or degree showing completion of the Graduate or PhD program may be used for 20 contact hours.
3. Formal presentation on a topic that has contact hour approval from one of the above approved providers will be approved for double the number of contact hours that are awarded to participants. A copy of the program brochure is required for documentation. A presentation at a meeting without continuing education hours from the approved providers will not be accepted.
4. Publication in a peer referred journal as a primary author on a midwifery related topic will be approved in lieu of 10 contact hours. A photocopy or PDF document of the published article is required for documentation.
5. Primary author of a chapter in a peer reviewed textbook relevant to midwifery and women's health, may receive recognition in lieu of ten contact hours. A photocopy of the published chapter from the textbook is required for documentation.
6. Peer reviewer of an article for a referred journal or textbook chapter relevant to midwifery and women's health, will be approved for 1.5 contact hours. A letter or certificate from the journal is required for documentation. Up to 10 hours may accrue for this alternative.
7. Direct clinical supervision as a preceptor to a nurse-midwifery/midwifery student from an ACME accredited program, will be approved for up to 10 contact hours for 90 hours or more spent precepting. A letter from the faculty coordinator is required for documentation.
8. Participation in an ACNM or AMCB committee that advances midwifery practice will qualify an individual for up to 10 hours. A letter of verification from the committee chair with dates of service and hours of participation is required. The number of qualifying hours will be at the discretion of the committee chair.
9. Participation in an ACME Accreditation Review will qualify a CNM/CM for 10 contact hours once per certification cycle. A letter from the ACME executive director will be required for verification.
**Please note: We do NOT accept American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) continuing education contact hours unless it is for a clearly identified advanced nursing practice conference (e.g. NPACE conferences).
If an individual would like to receive credit for any other continuing education activity before they have attended, then it the responsibility of the individual to apply directly to the ACNM Continuing Education Committee, click here, for pre-approval of the desired activity.
It is highly recommended that midwives encourage sponsors of continuing education activities appropriate to midwives to apply to the ACNM for ACNM contact hours prior to offering the continuing education.
When you participate in continuing education and you have a choice between ACCME credits and nursing credits, choose ACCME.
If you have any questions, please visit our FAQs or contact:
Certificate Maintenance Program Coordinator
Phone: 410-694-9424 or 866-366-9632, ext. 7016
Senior Certificate Maintenance Program Coordinator
Phone: 410-694-9424 or 866-366-9632, ext. 7015